Diagnostic Laparoscopy is a surgical procedure in which a telescope is inserted into the abdomen through a small incision at or around the navel to allow your doctor to view the reproductive organs in your pelvis.
Through this procedure your doctor can diagnose many problems which could have caused your difficulty in conceiving.
These conditions include:
- Damaged or blocked fallopian tubes,
- Pelvic adhesions.
- Ovarian cysts,
- Uterine fibroids and
- Congenital abnormalities of the pelvic organs.
Operative laparoscopy can be done appropriately when problems are found in the pelvis, provided they are surgically correctible.
Given below is a list of operative interventions done to improve the fertility potential.
- Removal of adhesions and restore the pelvic anatomy (Adhesiolysis).
- Removal of ovarian or adnexal cysts (Cystectomy).
- Removal of uterine fibroids (Myomectomy).
- Treat endometriosis by excision or ablation.
- Tubal cannulation / recanilisation.
- Excision of the fallopian tubes in cases of severely damaged tubes (Salphingectomy).
- Delinking of fallopian tubes in case of Hydrosalphinx.